Today I was looking around on the web and green coffee kept coming up. Interesting topic I thought. I know Dr Oz has done a program on the subject and done some research. He studied more than 100 women and ran the experiment for two weeks. The results- Women taking the green coffee bean extract lost around 2 pound (907g) , the women taking an inactive pill only lost 1 pound (453g).
Mmmm, why so close? All of the participants kept themselves a food journal, which probably made both groups more aware of what they were eating those weeks, “More aware of their diet”. But after this Dr oz suggestion for the intake of the green coffee bean extract was 400 milligrams, 3 times a day, which is a little higher than the high dose in an Indian study.
Although there seems to be no side effects from taking the extracts, there have been no long term studies on safety done yet. They also do not take into consideration people suffering from illness such as, heart disease, or those taking prescribed medication.
Try to always buy a reputable brand such as GCA (green coffee antioxidant) or Svetol with at least 45% chlorogenic acid. Avoid brands with lots of filters or artificial ingredients.
Some of the Benefits of green coffee are:
- Weight Loss – green coffee has been proven to be effective for weight loss. ( Study by Oryza Oil & Fat chemical co. Ltd, Japan)
- Diabetes – Consumption of green coffee can also be beneficial for diabetes. (Study at Helwan university in Cairo, Published in the ” Journal of American Science” revealed the consumption of green tea decreased blood glucose levels and insulin in diabetic rats. Research was on coffee and tea in relation to the chlorogenic acid content in both green coffee and green tea.
So maybe enjoy a cup of green coffee for something different or for the health benefits, maybe lose some weight? I know I love a cup of green tea, and there are many known benefits to that. Enjoy.
- PubMed.gov: Antihypertensive Effect of Green Coffee Bean Extract on Mildly Hypertensive Subjects
- BioMed Central.com: Inhibitory Effect of Green Coffee Bean Extract on fat Accumulation and Body Weight Gain in Mice
- Applied Foods: Green Coffee Polyphenols as a Powerful Antioxidant
- The Coffee Science Information Centre: Antioxidants in Coffee
- The Journal of American Science: The Effect of Green, Roasted and Decaffeinated Coffee on Serum Glucose, Insulin and Serum Lipid Profile in Diabetic Experimental Animals
- Journal of Nutrition: Chlorogenic Acids from Green Coffee Extract are Highly Bioavailable in Humans